The Rune Stone Mound
In conjunction with the 200th anniversary of the Association of Skåne Antiquities in 1868, six rune stones were donated to the University. The stones originate from various sites in Skåne: Gårdstånga, Nöbblöv, Skivarp, Vallberg and Vallkärra.
The rune stones are located on a small mound in front of the Palaestra et Odeum building. All are inscribed with runic texts that describe how various Vikings met their deaths in different locations in Northern Europe. The so-called Lundagård Stone once stood here but since 1956, this now stands in the entrance hall of the University Library.
The Valleberga Stone
In the eighteenth century, the Valleberga stone lay in a fenced enclosure in Valleberga. The Danish antiquarian Thorsen discovered the lower part of the stone in 1845, which was being used as a fence post. In 1869, archaeologist Nils G Brizelius found the upper section and joined the two parts together. The stone was then transported to the Rue Stone Mound in Lund.
It has been speculated as to whether the two men, Manne and Svenne, mentioned in the rune stone inscription might possibly have belonged to the so-called Tingalidet in England, formed by the Dane, King Canute the Great, after his conquest of England in 1016. Tingalidet consisted of Nordic warriors who were assigned to defend England from foreign enemies and which came to an end in 1066 following William the Conqueror’s invasion of England. According to the inscription, Manne and Svenne fell in battle somewhere westwards and were subsequently buried in London. The Christian formulation of the runes combined with the cross on the stone dates the rune stone to the mid-11th century.
The Gårdstånga Stones
Gårdstånga stone no. 2 (Gårdstånga no. 1 is located elsewhere) was found in the churchyard wall in Gårdstånga in 1867 and subsequently taken to Lund. It was discovered by the Scanian rune stone researcher Bruzelius. No one knows where the stone originally stood but most likely somewhere near where it was found.
A translation of the inscription reads “Usti and Gunnar erected these stones in memory of kn… björn, their comrades. These were fighters of wide renown.”
Gårdstånga stone no. 3 is also located here and this too was removed from the churchyard wall in Gårdstånga in 1867.
The inscription reads “Asser placed these stones in memory of Tobbe.” The runes conclude with an interesting hammer character, perhaps emphasizing the pagan beliefs of the time.