The City Park (Stadsparken)
The City Park is Lund’s most popular park attracting visitors of all ages and interests. On sunny days during the summer the park becomes almost crowded with sunbathers, joggers, prams, children, boule players, café guests, lakeside bird watchers and more besides.
The City Park began developing around the medieval city rampart that once encircled the city. The area inside the ramparts had previously been used as pasture land and beyond the ramparts stretched the fertile Lund plains.
The gardens around Högevall were the responsibility of the Lund Park Company, which was formed in 1860. In 1904, the City of Lund acquired the land and used it for the Great Exhibition of Lund. In 1909, the city council purchased the land where Kulturmejeriet stands today. Between 1909 and 1911, parts of the park were used for the Lund exhibition. The City Park was opened in 1911.
A large grass area with an open-air stage of white painted concrete lies in the southwestern part of the park. In good weather this is often used by the residents of Lund for various outdoor activities. A café can also be found here built by Theodor Wåhlin in 1922.
Situated in the northern part of the park are the Högevall swimming baths. In the eastern part lies the old Observatory. To the south, where the roads Stora Södergatan and Södra Esplanaden meet, Mejeriet is situated.