Liberiet was built during the 15th century and served as the cathedral library during the Middle Ages. Its name comes from the Danish word “liberi”, meaning collection of books or library, which in turn can be traced to the Latin word for book, “liber”.
This is the only building that still remains today out of all those that once existed around the Cathedral at the time. Following the founding of the university in 1668, the building was taken over in the same year and used as a teaching facility by the Philosophy Faculty. For a long time after, the building was known as The Old Academy. In 1765, a fencing hall was created on the upper floor. Here students were taught fencing and gymnastics during the first years of the 19th century by none other than “the father of Swedish gymnastics”, Per Henrik Ling.
In 1843, Liberiet underwent extensive renovation and new, larger windows were added. What had once served as the fencing hall now became the upper floor of the academic music chapel until 1883. From 1890 until 1966, the building was used as the boiler room for the Cathedral, a somewhat less glorious function. However, in 1979, Liberiet underwent renovation and became what it is today, the premises for the Cathedral Parish Council. The restoration work was supervised by architect Ove Hidemark of the Swedish National Heritage Board.