The Lundagård House
The Lundagård House, was erected in 1578-1584 on the order of the Danish king Fredrik II. The architect was Diiriik Byggmästare. The house, which was built as a residence for the king and his sheriff Björn Kaas, was originally two storeys high and had an entrance in the tower faced the cathedral. During the 1643-1645 war, the building was badly damaged and in 1660 was sold to Peder Winstrup, then bishop in Lund.
The University took over the building in 1688 and converterd it for academic purposes. In 1732, Per Nilsson, the university carpenter, built the tower´s remarkable oak staircase. Later, the building was plastered and provided with a mansard roof designed by the architect Carl Hårleman. In the mid18th century, the tower was elevated and for a time housed an observatory. In 1837-39 the building received a third storey and a new sandstone doorway, each designed by the architect Axel Nyström. The entrance to Carolina Hall, now a library, was decorated with fragments of old stone, probably from the cathedral. The university library and museum were housed here until 1917, when the building once again became home to a university department. The Lundagård House is now a national building monument.
Source: Statens Fastighetsverk