Henrik Schartau and The Henrik Schartau Statue
The statue to the south of the Cathedral is that of Henric Schartau (1757-1825), by Peter Linde. It was presented as a gift to the church council and unveiled on October 31st, 2003 by K G Hammar.
Henric Schartau was a priest and preacher in Lund who, in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, was known for his “fire and brimstone” sermons. Influencing many young priests, his teachings “the Schartau Revival”, spread throughout Skåne and the west coast.
People from all walks of life gathered to listen to him, although many of the city’s professors initially failed to do so. However, in time, many of these too joined his band of disciples.
Throughout the entire 20th century, discussions ensued over whether there should be a statue of Henric Schartau. These came to an end when it finally became a reality in the late 20th century.