Botaniska trädgården (The Botanical Gardens)
The Botanical Gardens in Lund are an amazing oasis and popular attraction for the residents of Lund and tourists alike. The Botanical Gardens are owned and managed by Lund University.
Botanical gardens have been in existence in Lund since the late 17th century. Originally they were located on the current university site. In the mid-18th century, Carl Hårleman’s plan was adopted for new botanical gardens in the same location including an orangery, arboretum and plantation operations. Alongside the teaching of medicine, the gardens should cultivate and spread knowledge about economically important plants. Best known is Eric Lidbeck’s cultivation of 50,000 mulberry trees intended for the production of Swedish silk.
The gardens remained in the same location until the 1860s. However the time had come to relocate them to their current site at Tornalyckan, east of the city embankment. Here, the University had had access to land since 1815. In 1865 work began in the new greenhouses and three years later approximately 6000 species were being cultivated in the gardens.
In the north-western corner of the gardens stands the building Agardhianum. Completed in 1867 it housed the first botanical institute in Lund. In the embankment next to the greenhouse is the little coal house (probably from 1862). 1889-1891 the new institute building was completed in the southern part, and in 1913 the Botanical Museum was constructed.
Two bronze busts depicting father and son Agardh can be found in the gardens. Jacob George Agardh was the principal person behind the construction of the current gardens. He was the son of botany professor Carl Adolph Agardh. Both were prominent algae researchers.
The Botanical Gardens extend over an area of 8 hectares. Thousands of different species and varieties can be found here. Since 1975, Lund University Botanical Gardens have been designated a national monument.