logo Kulturportal Lund

Kulturportal Lund

Guide to historical Lund and its cultural heritage

  Squares & Parks

Botaniska trädgården (The Botanical Gardens)

The Botanical Gardens in Lund are an amazing oasis and popular attraction for the residents of Lund and tourists alike. The Botanical Gardens are owned and managed by Lund University. Botanical gardens have been in existence in Lund since the late 17th century. Originally they were located on the current university site. In the mid-18th […]

Krafts torg (Krafts Square)

The name Kraft comes from the word crypt. Part of the site that occupies the square today was, during the Middle Ages, the cemetery of the Kraft Church, i.e. the crypt of the cathedral. The cemetery remained here until 1816 but was converted to an open site in 1832. In later times one of the […]

Lundagård

Lundagård is the oldest park in the city and surrounded by the most important buildings. To the south stands the Cathedral; to the north-west the University Hall; to the north-east the Academic Society building; to the south-east the Historical Museum and in its centre, the old Lundagårdshuset building, dating from the Middle Ages. Lundagård represents […]

The City Park (Stadsparken)

The City Park is Lund’s most popular park attracting visitors of all ages and interests. On sunny days during the summer the park becomes almost crowded with sunbathers, joggers, prams, children, boule players, café guests, lakeside bird watchers and more besides. The City Park began developing around the medieval city rampart that once encircled the […]

The Rune Stone Mound

In conjunction with the 200th anniversary of the Association of Skåne Antiquities in 1868, six rune stones were donated to the University. The stones originate from various sites in Skåne: Gårdstånga, Nöbblöv, Skivarp, Vallberg and Vallkärra. The rune stones are located on a small mound in front of the Palaestra et Odeum building. All are […]

The University Square / (Universitetsplatsen)

Where the current University Square broadens out was, in the late 17th century, the site of the former botanical gardens. In the mid-18th century plans were adopted by Carl Hårleman for new botanical gardens on the same site where they remained up until the 1860s. Best known was the cultivation of 50,000 mulberry trees for […]