logo Kulturportal Lund

Kulturportal Lund

Guide to historical Lund and its cultural heritage

  Buildings

Charles XII (also Carl of Sweden) residence

The so-called Charles XII residence was probably built between 1586 and 1589 by CorfitzViffert in the building style of that in the Netherlands. The façade is characteristic of this style. It is quite likely that parts of a medieval building are incorporated in the current building. At the end of the 16th century, it had […]

Ekska House

Ekska House is situated on Sankt Petri Kyrkogata. It is a half-timbered structure, the western part being built in 1823 and the eastern part in 1826. It is believed that the house originally had a plaster façade, as was the style of the time, and the half-timbers exposed sometime around the 1920’ies. The merchant Jacob […]

Kristallen (The Crystal) – an environmentally smart building

The municipal building, Kristallen, situated on the west side of the railway, north of Lund Central Station, was inaugurated in April 2014. Parts of the social administration as well as the city planning office, technical administration and environmental administration now occupy the building. With 11,000 square metres of office space, the new building can accommodate […]

Kulturen – The Museum of Cultural History in Lund

It started at Midsummer 1882, when some students in Lund decided to found the Association for the Cultural History of Southern Sweden. The central figure in this group of enthusiasts, whose first interest was rural dialects, was Georg J:son Karlin, the son of a clergyman from Huaröd, in the middle of Skåne (Scania). In the […]

Liberiet

Liberiet was built during the 15th century and served as the cathedral library during the Middle Ages. Its name comes from the Danish word “liberi”, meaning collection of books or library, which in turn can be traced to the Latin word for book, “liber”. This is the only building that still remains today out of […]

Locus Peccatorum

This building was originally designed as a normal dwelling-house but very soon became the living quarters for students. Student quarters in Lund once played an equally important role in student life as the nation houses today and were given humorous names. When the cultural museum Kulturen acquired the building in 1898, there was a cigar […]

Lund City Hall

Lund City Hall is situated in the main square, Stortorget, in the centre of Lund. It was designed by architect Klas Anshelm and built in 1968. The building is internationally acclaimed for its design and visited annually by architectural students from all over the world. Lund City Hall is the venue for concerts, lectures, seminars, […]

Lund University Historical Museum

Lund University Historical Museum was originally conceived as the bishop´s residence and constructed 1840-45 in Romanesque style to drawings by Professor Axel Nyström. The cathedral architect and building superintendent Carl Georg Brunius, made several changes to the building during the course of the work. In 1848 the Church exchanged it for the University´s prominent new […]

Palaestra et Odeum

Palaestra et Odeum is located on Universitetsplatsen (University Square) and owned by Lund University. The building was designed by Helgo Zettervall and built in 1883. Previously, the botanical gardens were situated on this site and behind the façade lie the remains of the Orangery that once stood here dating from the mid-18th century. Originally, the […]

Saluhallen (Market Hall)

Market Hall is not only located in the centre of town, it also enjoys a central position in many people’s perception of Lund. Market Hall is a great asset  within the old city culture. Trade in meat and fish had traditionally been conducted from covered wagons on the main square, Stortorget. Following increasing demands on […]

The Academic Society building

Akademiska Föreningen (The Academic Society building) with its fivestorey corner towers and renaissance architecture, was built in 1851 to drawings by architect H.J.Strömberg for the Academic Society. In 1911 the building was extended with a large round tower designed by architect Fredrik Sundbärg. New construction to the north and extensive interior renovation in 1946 and […]

The Cathedral Chapter House (Domkapitelhuset)

On this site, at the corner of Kiliansgatan and Krafts Torg, a one-storey building once stood until 1928 housing both the parish registrar’s office and the restaurant Malmen. The Chapter House that stands here today functions as the premises for the chapter house administration and parish administration. From the Middle  Ages up until the Reformation, […]

The City Council House (Rådhuset)

The City Council House, completed in 1837, was originally the Town Hall. Located inside the building was a celebrated restaurant, refreshments room and storage room for the city’s accounts. On the top floor was the large banquet hall, Knutssalen. Here hung the mirrors and chandeliers from 1824 designed by Professor G. Fr. Hetsch from the […]

The City Library

The library building on S:t Petri Kyrkogata, is a glass structure that allows the greenery from the old park behind the library to become an integral part of the library environment. The building was completed in 1970 and designed by Danish architect, Flemming Lassen, who was also responsible for designing several libraries in Denmark. The […]

The City Rampart (Stadsvallen)

Lund was once surrounded by an earthen rampart and moat. To make the system even more effective, a stockade ran along the top. Brick masonry gate towers and bridges were positioned at the southern, western, northern and eastern exits. The rampart was approx. three thousand seven hundred metres in length. Today, little remains of this […]

The Lindfors House (Lindforska huset)

The house is situated in its original position and named after Professor Anders Otto Lindfors who was the owner from 1818 to 1841. The house has been modified and adapted many times by the cultural museum (Kulturen). The last time for the University Museum, which opened in 1997, when the ground floor rooms from the […]

The Lundagård House

The Lundagård House, was erected in 1578-1584 on the order of the Danish king Fredrik II. The architect was Diiriik Byggmästare. The house, which was built as a residence for the king and his sheriff Björn Kaas, was originally two storeys high and had an entrance in the tower faced the cathedral. During the 1643-1645 […]

University institution

This University institution was built in 1853 in a romanticising medieval style by the architect H.J. Strömberg for the university´s department of anatomy. In 1897 the building was taken over by the department og geology and in 1930 by the department of theology. Later the department of archaeology dwelt here before it in 2014 was […]