logo Kulturportal Lund

Kulturportal Lund

Guide to historical Lund and its cultural heritage

Guide to historical Lund and its cultural heritage

Panorama head10
Panorama head02
Panorama head03
Panorama head05

The City Rampart (Stadsvallen)


Lund was once surrounded by an earthen rampart and moat. To make the system even more effective, a stockade ran along the top. Brick masonry gate towers and bridges were positioned at the southern, western, northern and eastern exits. The rampart was approx. three thousand seven hundred metres in length. Today, little remains of this […]

The City Library


The library building on S:t Petri Kyrkogata, is a glass structure that allows the greenery from the old park behind the library to become an integral part of the library environment. The building was completed in 1970 and designed by Danish architect, Flemming Lassen, who was also responsible for designing several libraries in Denmark. The […]

New articles


Lib 01

Liberiet was built during the 15th century and served as the cathedral library during the Middle Ages. Its name comes from the Danish word “liberi”, meaning collection of books or library, which in turn can be traced to the Latin word for book, “liber”. This is the only building that still remains today out of […]

  Publicerad 11 August, 2019

Kulturen – The Museum of Cultural History in Lund


It started at Midsummer 1882, when some students in Lund decided to found the Association for the Cultural History of Southern Sweden. The central figure in this group of enthusiasts, whose first interest was rural dialects, was Georg J:son Karlin, the son of a clergyman from Huaröd, in the middle of Skåne (Scania). In the […]

  Publicerad 5 October, 2015

Kristallen (The Crystal) – an environmentally smart building


The municipal building, Kristallen, situated on the west side of the railway, north of Lund Central Station, was inaugurated in April 2014. Parts of the social administration as well as the city planning office, technical administration and environmental administration now occupy the building. With 11,000 square metres of office space, the new building can accommodate […]

  Publicerad 22 April, 2015

Suggested articles

The Rune Stone Mound


In conjunction with the 200th anniversary of the Association of Skåne Antiquities in 1868, six rune stones were donated to the University. The stones originate from various sites in Skåne: Gårdstånga, Nöbblöv, Skivarp, Vallberg and Vallkärra. The rune stones are located on a small mound in front of the Palaestra et Odeum building. All are […]

The University Square / (Universitetsplatsen)


Where the current University Square broadens out was, in the late 17th century, the site of the former botanical gardens. In the mid-18th century plans were adopted by Carl Hårleman for new botanical gardens on the same site where they remained up until the 1860s. Best known was the cultivation of 50,000 mulberry trees for […]

The Cathedral Chapter House (Domkapitelhuset)


On this site, at the corner of Kiliansgatan and Krafts Torg, a one-storey building once stood until 1928 housing both the parish registrar’s office and the restaurant Malmen. The Chapter House that stands here today functions as the premises for the chapter house administration and parish administration. From the Middle  Ages up until the Reformation, […]